As promised, pics from my fabulous Talladega weekend. Wow. It was an experience all its own. I must say, if you've never been, it's worth it to go at least once. I might suggest NOT camping out though. Camping doesn't bother me. Lack of sleep because of wild party tents, trucks chock-full of people cruising the camp ground, and endless amounts of rebel yells are annoying. I DO recommend going to the speedway, however. I can't pretend I've ever been a NASCAR fan before, and I always thought it was stupid to watch. But now that I've been, people, it's just different. The incredible sound as they fly by at close to 200 mph is adrenaline rushing. I'm not converting to the NASCAR Nation by any means. It's just intriguing to me now. I'm just sayin'. On to the pics.
The gigantic multi-room tent. No showers. No restrooms other than port-a-potties. I think this classifies as roughing it. At least for this gal it does.
Adam is such a hard worker. He cooked most of our meals and built our fire. I love it!

Rockstar of the Weekend Award: Jason Yohe. I have to say, he looks more Mexican than Italian in this pic.

Pre-race excitement.

Looking to the right from our seats: We were in the grandstand section, eleven rows from the track. To the right, where the track curves back to the left, is the finish line and the location of the major crash at the last lap of the race. Yep: the one where Carl Edwards crawled from his burning vehicle and jogged to the finish line Ricky Bobby style. I AM NOT LYING.

This board updates every lap with the leading drivers. Before we left, Adam made me pick a driver to cheer for so I would get a little more involved. I chose Joey Logano, #20 for Home Depot, because he is 18 and just a baby! During the race, Adam, Roxeanne and I were in the first three seats of our row. Adam was pulling for #1 and Roxeanne was pulling for #88 (Dale JR: who was NOT pulling for him was the question.) Our three drivers held the top three positions for several laps. This is the pic of the board with our guys in the lead.








4 worthy responses:
OK, sooooo I used to tell my girls to suck up their pain and think about those prairie women dropping their babies in the field and going back to work.....now what am I supposed to tell Shannon about NASCAR......OK honey, just dodge those bullets and rebel yelling, tatoo covered, beer toting young men driving those monster trucks and get to the grandstand anyway you can....you must believe that you can make it there without getting killed! (Sorry if any reader is a NASCAR fan, but SERIOUSLY....not my style of entertainment....and yes I have been to ONE race with my dad and Henry.
Mom
AHHHHH, nothing like the smell of race car fuel, and a girl behind you yelling, WHEEEEE DOGIE, go get him Dale, Jr.! Just gets your brake fluid pumping! I would have never believed that my piano playing, tap-dancing, Nutcracker collecting daughter would have been caught dead at a NASCAR race...BUT, I am happy that you have deepened your horizons and are venturing out into the finer areas of entertainment! "Shake and Bake"
Your parents comments' are the best. Really, Shannon, have you lived until you've seen a NASCAR race? I need to know. Because if not, it will need to be added to my life list, I suppose. It almost looks like fun. Almost.
And please disregard my misplaced apostrophe. I am losing my English. Been in Mexico long time. I knew I was putting it in the wrong place!
Post a Comment