Wow. I hit an all-time low today. I got rejected, and I never even met the guy. I mean, I can understand if he at least saw me and then rejected me. But noooooooo. It was over the phone.
Say and think whatever you want. But this is my blog, so I'm entitled to write whatever I want. And besides, it's quite humorous, and I like making people laugh!
The story goes something like this:
I need a wireless router. Since it's Black Friday, I figure I could find a good deal. Circuit City online had a deal where I could get a router for $49.99 plus a $30 mail-in rebate. Then, as a special, they had a package with a printer for $79.99 with an $80 mail-in rebate. Duh. No-brainer, right? However, I felt a little apprehensive ordering online without talking to a real-live human being. I mean, I wanted to make absolute 100% certain that I was getting the printer for free. Otherwise, I'd just do without.
So I called. And this is the conversation after punching several numbers to navigate me through the automated part.
(In a very foreign accent): Hi, thank you for calling Circuit City. May I help you?
Me: Yes, I'm looking for a router and printer package.
Him: Ok, tell me the product numbers.
Me: HQ45RT
Him: 8, Q as in Queen, 4, 5, R as in Robert and T as in Tom.
Me: No. H as in Hot, Q as in Queen, 4, 5, R as in Robert and T as in Tom.
Me: (Waiting for five minutes while he searches and tells me that it's like looking for a needle in grass. His words exactly.)
Him: Ok, I found it. Yes, you get both rebates. May I have your email address?
Me: Faith******@*******.com
Him: That's S as in Sally, A as in Abe, I as in Igloo, T as in Tom, and H as in Howard.
Me: No, that's F as in Father.
Him: Faith. Are you a Christian?
Me: Yes, I am.
Him: What sect?
Me: What denomination?
Him: Yes
Me: (Hesitating. Certain ones can have a certain connotation. So, I decided to go with...) Reformed.
Him: Reformed? Do you worship idols?
Me: No, no!
Him: I'm a Christian. I'm Baptist.
Me: Well, I'm a mix between Baptist and Presbyterian.
Him: Oh, Ok. How old are you?
Me: 28.
Him: I'm 24.
Me: Oh, that's my sister's age. Were you born in America?
Him: No, the Philippines.
More information gathering took place for my order to be processed.
Him: The problem in America is that a Christian girl cannot find anyone to be her life partner.
Me: True. Very true.
Him: So, have you found yours?
Me: No, I haven't. I'm still waiting.
Him, laughing: Me, too!
(By this point, Emily is out in the living room whispering, "He's totally hitting on you! I can tell what the conversation is from the other room!")
Him: Ok, let me confirm your order. Hold on just a second...
Silence.
The phone went dead. We got cut off. I looked at Emily and asked what I should do? I mean, he had all my information. He could call back. Good grief...he even knew my address, email, age, religious affiliation, and marital status. After five minutes, nothing. So, I decided to call back and ask for the Filipino guy.
Me: I'm sorry, I got cut off from the guy I was ordering with.
Him: Oh, I'm so sorry. How may I help you?
Me: Well, I'd like to continue speaking with him, but I don't know his name.
Him: Ok, tell me the product numbers. (Totally ignoring my request.)
Me: HQ45RT
Him: 8, Q as in Queen, 4, 5, R as in Robert and T as in Tom. (At this point I think it's him.)
Me: No. H as in Hot, Q as in Queen, 4, 5, R as in Robert and T as in Tom.
Him: Ok. Can I have your email address?
Me: Faith**********@********.com
Him: That's S as in Sally, A as in Abe, I as in Igloo, T as in Tom, and H as in Howard.
Me (What the crap?!): No, that's F as in Father.
Him: Ok. (Then he repeats it back.)
The more he talks, the more I'm convinced this is the SAME Filipino guy I was speaking with before. I mean, what is that wrong with me over the phone?
I've come to the conclusion that there could be a couple reasons for this Twilight Zone experience:
A. His short-term memory is the equivalent's of Dorie's, and he has no clue.
B. He heard something in the tone of my voice that totally turned him off, and I was rejected without him ever laying eyes on me.
I'm thankful for God's Providence and a sense of humor. Happy Thanksgiving!
Friday, November 23, 2007
All-Time Low
Posted by SP at 7:13 PM

