Sunday, April 15, 2007

Friend Therapy

My former school visited Stone Mountain in Atlanta on Friday. I drove down with them. I needed to get out of the house for a while! I've felt somewhat "down" since my surgery. It was a beautiful day...cool in the morning and warm in the afternoon.

When describing Stone Mountain to some friends in Africa, I wanted them to understand just how BIG and COOL it is. Of course, the carvings are reflective of the South. Jefferson Davis, Stonewall Jackson, and General Lee. Ha! Oh well. I guess some things never die. (Of course, at the time when the carvers were commissioned, it wasn't that long since the Civil War had been fought.)

A bigger view of the mountain. I still think it doesn't give its size justice. Someone can actually fit INSIDE the nostrils of the men carved into the stone! (Yeah, in the South we get excited about pretty dumb things.)

Enough said.

Emily, Miriam, me and Kelly
It was a nice day where I didn't have to think about what was wrong with me all day, but it came with a price. I felt really sore and not myself the next day. It wasn't a stressful day, but I learned that I have to take it easy.

8 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

gotta love good ole stone mtn. park, baby! woohooo! looks like a great time was had by all. awesome pictures. Hope you are getting to feeling really well very soon, shannon!

SP said...

Thanks, Katie! I thought about you while I was there because I know how much you and your family love it!

Anonymous said...

What is it with you and stones ;)

Glad to hear from you.

Becky said...

When my mom and dad first flew South many many years ago for my Dad to interview at UGA, my mom looked out of the plane window and said "What the heck is THAT????" Of course, she had spotted good old Stone Mtn. Little did she know she'd end up living in it's backyard for 14 years of her life!

SP said...

Drh, apparently I have a fascination with them.

Becky, that's great! I've never seen it out of the plane window, but my mom has.

Anonymous said...

I remember one year when my high school band went to stone mountain to warm up and practice for the elgeston children parade in good ole Atlanta... we had free time and we were allowed to go and explore.. so me and my friends (which I might add were not all there in that day) decided to take a climb up the mountain... we let the guys decicde where to go so we followed and they thought they found a real trail and they though it would be a easy to climb trail.. hahaha boy where they wrong... we took a trail that was not a real one and we were climbing up the side of the mountain holding on to trees and rocks and climbing over bushes... we finally made it up the moutain 4 hours later and that is when we found the real trail... I can offically say that Joe( may you rest in peace) was a bad trail guide but we conquered Stone Mountain.. and it only took us 2 hours to get down b/c we took our slow time walking down after spending 4 hours climbing a mountain with no trail......

i'm glad your home shan i'm sending you something in the mail
love you
kelly

Mandy said...

koen is such a dork, as she perfectly exemplifies in the video (haha! jk, koen. i'm just mad that you're on spring break...AGAIN.)

fun pics! glad you had a nice day with good weather :)

Bella Sera said...

Glad you had a great time. I'm sure it was good to be back with "the girls". Glad you got to share the pictures with your "Africa friends" about our Southern monument. :) Atleast it was not super hot!!! Still miss you.