Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hola!

As many of you may remember, I have a Hispanic posse. Because it is the end of the nine weeks, there is an increase in students wanting to pull up their grades. Hence, I've had an influx of students wanting to work in my office. Especially José and Jorge. The other day we were were discussing books with Hispanic influence. José asked me if I knew what the word esperanza meant (he saw it on the back of the book). I said, "Spirit?" He said, "Kind of. Hope." Then he got a far off look in his eyes. Quietly, he asked, "Do you know La Llorona?"

"La Llorona? No."

"She is a crying woman by the water because she drowned her children."

"Excuse me?"

"Yes, she is a spirit. She haunts near the water and cries. My mother told me about her. She is real. Look her up."

Well, I wasn't going to pass that up. This is the first site I came across. F-R-E-A-K-Y. Then I looked at this. José and I discussed the definition of an urban legend. He wasn't convinced. I even mentioned that there was a North African legend of this sort. Jorge came in and asked what we were talking about. I asked him if he'd heard of La Llorona.

This was his response.
However, I found out that José is not the only one of my guys who is fearful of this Woman in White. In fact, the majority of them are. Jorge is actually the one who is in the minority. No matter, I was fascinated, and became even more intrigued by this subgroup of kids at my school whom I love dearly.

1 worthy responses:

SDD said...

This sounds interesting. Sounds like you are loving your new job! I miss you! We'll have to get together soon so I can hear more : )