I did exactly what the news reporter on TV said not to do. I went to downtown Atlanta even though I had no business there. Shame on me. But, I just couldn't resist. Tornadoes have always amazed (and scared) me. And to think that one went straight through the heart of Atlanta was mind-boggling. I managed to snap a few rough pictures of some of the damage.
Below: You can see the broken windows on the elevator of the Westin. This is the same elevator I rode a few years back for dessert at the rotating restaurant at the top.
Philips Arena: I was here the second night after returning from Africa. I almost didn't attend the Josh Groban concert because of health issues, but Allie and I did manage to sneak in after it had begun when I was feeling better. The blue letters on the sign used to be backdropped with white sheets of metal. Those sheets of metal turned into flying missiles when the tornado came through.
Centennial Olympic Park wasn't without damage. Several huge torches were blown off of their concrete foundations and were strewn about looking like huge rolls of aluminum foil.
Below: A few from the Georgia Dome, where the tornado first hit. It then went on to the "Tuxedo Building" (as my Hispanic students call it), and the Equitable building behind. You can see where windows were blown out where there is white on the building.
A piece of a shirt was tangled in the ravaged limbs of a shrub.


3 worthy responses:
Go to my blog and check out the photo - you're gonna love it. I used the same words as you - "amazing" & "scary" - and didn't even know it! :)
Yeah, I saw that photo on AJC last weekend!!!
Great minds think alike!
Wow. I knew it was bad, but hadn't seen many pics.
Post a Comment