Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Spread some cheer

Over a week ago I posted about sponsoring my students at school for Christmas. I didn't get any responses, so I figure everyone is already helping a needy family this Christmas. However, this is a plea for help, and I am not above begging.

In the past two days, the school social worker and I have come across a few more families who will not be able to provide Christmas for their children. All of our corporate sponsors have been used, and it breaks our hearts to turn these families away.

If any of you are willing to take on an additional sponsorship, please let me know. Or if you're one of those people who thought that everyone else reading would take care of it, maybe you're realizing now that it didn't happen and you'd like to pitch in. Please email me at faith1408@gmail.com and let me know.

What would it look like?

You email me.
I email you back and tell you some of our needs.
You decide if you want to donate money or purchase the gifts yourself.
I'll meet you anywhere/anytime to pick up your donations.

Today was an emotional one for me. We spent the day delivering to families who didn't have the means to pick up the presents at our school. All of these families had multiple children living in single-wide trailers or temporary stay lodging. All the parents were overwhelmed to tears at the generosity of strangers. One man pointed to an unwrapped small CD player under his Charlie Brown Christmas tree and said that it had been a birthday present for one of his three sons; the son left it under the tree so he would have something to get on Christmas morning. It is the most beautiful thing to give. Please consider it.

3 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
Matthew 25:34-40

Love ya!
Melissa

SP said...

Wow. Thank you Melissa for a reminder of what this season is all about. Verse 40 is on the front of my Bible from college.

Anonymous said...

Great scripture Melissa! I'm proud of you Shannon for helping take all of that on. I'm sure it was an eye opener and reminds me a lot of my dad taking care of people when I was young. I love you!