Saturday, July 07, 2007

The Garlic

Dad pointed out a while back that my posts tend to feature food quite often. That's true. Even if I'm not full-blooded, I have genuine Italian blood running through my veins. What more can I say? NSB has one of my faovite restaurants -- and not so much for the food, believe it or not, but for the ambiance. Not that the food isn't good; it is. I'm just a bit of a romantic, and the ambiance of this place is phenomenal. I couldn't just show you pictures, I had to let you experience the awesomeness that is The Garlic. Too bad, as someone mentioned, that this blog isn't scratch and sniff.

Since I can't add text to my video, I'll explain some of the stuff. The Garlic imports hand painted pottery from Sicily. I usually buy a dish each year that we go. After the entrance showing all the pottery, you'll notice a HUGE blob of wax. When the restaurant first opened they had a wooden rocking chair with some white candles placed on it. As the wax dripped they added more and more candles until the rocking chair was completely hidden and it looks like what it does today. I guess, judging by the fact that the candles are now in glass holders, that they decided they needed to put an end to the madness of the wax. There is also a picture of me with a huge bowl of "stinky" cheese. That would be parmigiano. The house specialty is their bread and roasted garlic that they mash and drown in EVOO (thanks Rachael) and balsamic vinegar. I tried to capture a picture of the lit palm trees, but it doesn't do the veranda justice. And then finally a pic of me and my Dad's cousin and the extended family -- the only kind of family reunion we usually have. So, enjoy my boring video!


4 worthy responses:

Mandy said...

Love that pottery!! Some of it looks very familiar...

Stephanie said...

Yummy... I really enjoyed that place when I went there last year. (plus, I was definitely eating for two so it made it even better!) Can't wait to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

You're making me hungry.

Bella Sera said...

I really liked the Garlic when I went for Spring Break. I wondered about the huge mound of wax.