Brittany, my roommate, and I both live in Rome, and both work in Cartersville. With soaring and ridiculous gas prices, we both decided to park Uncle Luigi (formerly known as Massimo) in the carport and only use Ginger, Brittany's 1995 Honda Civic. We decided that we'd try to leave the house by 6:55. We would take turns driving. Some weeks she would drop me off at school and then backtrack to hers; some weeks I would drop her off and take Ginger with me. Today was the first day of our carpooling. I dropped her off.
Before she got out of the car, she said, "Oh yeah, Ginger has a few quirks you should know about. I know you really like the horn since living in Africa, but the horn doesn't work, so be extra observant and be a proactive instead of a reactive driver. Also, the windows whistle because of the sunroof. If it bothers you, either open the window or open the sunroof a little.
But the motor on the sunroof makes a horrendous sound when you open or close it.
"The wiring is screwed up, so if you use the automatic lock to lock the doors, it won't work. It will unlock the doors, but it will not lock them. If you push the lock manually on the driver's side, it will lock all the doors. But if you open it on the driver's side, it will only unlock the driver's side.
"Don't worry about the CD player. It decides when it wants to work and when it doesn't depending on how hot or cold it is outside. Sometimes you have to turn the heat off to make it work. If you want the listen to the radio instead, the antenna sucks, so you only get one radio station.
"If the steering wheel locks and refuses to start, you have to turn the keyhole on the transmission thing, take it out, put your foot on the brake and turn the steering wheel while trying to crank it.
"And the driver's window, if you open it, gets off track. You have to raise it slowly while pulling it back on track. Don't think you can open the window behind the driver, though. It doesn't open at all.
"Last, but not least, never EVER leave the keys in the car or ignition. You never know when Ginger is going to lock by herself."
And to think that when I went to crank it this afternoon, it wouldn't even turn over. Nada. Zilch. Nothing. She forgot to tell me the lights didn't go off by themselves. I wonder why.
Yet, in the whole scheme of things, $16 a week for gas is a heck of a lot better than $65 every five or six days.
Friday, April 18, 2008
Car for Sale
Posted by SP at 11:41 PM


6 worthy responses:
I’d say $16 a week is a steal, considering you’re commuting from Rome!
lol drh
I'd say you'd better drive Ginger pretty gingerly!!
Yay for carpooling--just in time for Earth Day, too!! :)
And I thought "Precious" had problems! Hey, you two can use my truck!
Ok, so what does it say about me when I can identify with every single one of those car quirks... I'm thinking to myself, as I am reading your blog entry, yeah, uh-huh, that makes sense, ok - done that before, Hmmm maybe she could try...
Guess I am just more comfortable in junkers - to each his own - if I were commuting that far in my heap I am sure it would be more than $16 a week. Praise God for cars that get you where you're going!
The name of Dad's truck scares me for some reason...
This made me laugh so hard! I can picture the whole conversation perfectly!
Post a Comment