Monday, April 28, 2008

So, if you're wondering about the previous video, I was the band director in charge on our middle school band's recent competition in Myrtle Beach, SC. Our band director had to have serious surgery that requires her to be out the rest of the school year. She came to me and asked if I would be willing to go as her on the band trip. A lot of our kids come from poor, poor homes and had worked so hard to raise money through fundraising for the trip. She hated telling them they couldn't go. I accepted, and I'm so glad I did. What you need to know about the previous video: our band was the only middle school who performed against high schools. AND WE BEAT ALL OF THEM! 300+ member bands from up north at that!! Though our school band has over 250, we only took the honor band which has 65. Many of these students play multiple instruments. For example, Abe, the guy spinning at the beginning of this video, plays sousaphone. Others in the pictures, play French horn, trumpet, clarinet, and saxophone. The video clips from outside are while we were warming up. It isn't everyone, because over half of our fourteen bass drums are inside performing as color guard! These kids rock.

3 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!

Jennifer Jolly said...

They are MIDDLE SCHOOL? Better than some high school bands I have seen. I have never seen that level of performance from Middle School. And I've seen my share of bands in my flag twirling days! :)