Monday, June 02, 2008

Leaving no Turtle Unturned

Mandy, this post is for you.

Emma, as you may remember, is the guardian of the back yard. So I wasn't surprised to see her barking at the back fence this morning. I was surprised, however, to see her pulling the fence with her teeth, digging the ground, and squeezing her head through the bottom. Not to escape, mind you. (Though she probably could have. Note to self: brick up that part of the fence.) Oh no, she grabbed something in her jaws and came back through the fence. I saw her carry her trophied prize and set it down, pawing at it and turning it over. Oh yes, it was a turtle. Of course, being the animal lover that I am, I rescued the turtle.

No, it does not live with us now.

Yes, it is safely recuperating on the other side of a different part of the fence incapable of being compromised.

No, Emma is not happy with me.

Yes, she is in time-out inside while the turtle gains enough courage to scamper away.

2 worthy responses:

Mandy said...

Oh, my. I am sooooooo glad you did not allow her to crunch the turtle for a snack. Ewwwwwww.

Bella Sera said...

You're not KEEPING the turtle??