Thursday, March 30, 2006

Playing School



This is...well crap, I can't really say his name since he is a student. Let's just call him Theo.

We've been in school 142 days, and I've told Theo at least 141 times NOT to use my markers while he's waiting for his bus. Maybe he has a hearing problem.

I couldn't help but smile today, though, when I caught him writing on the board. You see, Theo, up until recently, has thought that we haven't learned anything in class. After some reminders, explanations, and finally a Word Wall, he realized just how much we've covered. I caught him today doing what I had done so many years ago in my parents' classrooms. Playing school. He didn't care that he's about to be a high schooler and it's probably not cool to be playing school anymore. He was proud of what he'd learned. So he was making up a test for others.

Now...if I could just get him to learn NOT to write on my board. (Expo markers aren't cheap, people!)

4 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

Theo is very "funTy" I must say. How you have inspired so many so quickly! And how you have inspired ME to stay up and check this whole blog thing out! Thanks a ton! More ways to procrastinate before I graduate!

SP said...

"funTy"...you're "funTy"! You make me laugh!

Becky said...

Shannon,

That's a great post. It always makes the small paychecks seem worthwhile when you see something like this!

Anonymous said...

I used to love my Expo markers and I would hate it when my students went near them!!! They are expensive!! I would catch some of them smelling them too much...soo not right!!!