There was only one reason why I decided not to become an elementary school teacher. Recess duty. (OK, not really. But it makes a better story.)
Honestly, I never really thought that, as a middle school teacher, I'd have recess duty. Lunch duty and morning/afternoon duty maybe. But not recess.
Recess duty at our school takes place in the gravel parking lots. Not exactly the most ideal place for a bunch of raging hormonal, wild hooligan, angel-in-your-class-but-devil-at-recess boys to play.
Here are some thoughts that went through my head and phrases that came out of my mouth today while I served my recess duty:
Oh great, there are cars parked in the parking lot. They're gonna play soccer anyway. There goes the car alarm. They hit the car with the ball.
"Guys! Move AWAY from the car! AWAY!"
What are they doing over there? I think Haitem is practicing his kung-fu on Othmane! There went the ball again. I'm going to have to get it!
"Guys! Yassine! Give me the ball. Yes, I know you didn't mean to, but I've warned you already NOT to 'accidentally' kick the ball over near the third graders."
Why am I out here? I think I'm getting gray hairs from this. And there's the car alarm. Again.
"Guys! Move it! Over to this lot. Let's go!"
"Sam, are you going to live? Let's take a look at it. Yep. You'll live. Do you need to see the nurse?"
"Walid, if the ball goes over the fence again, you've lost your recess rights for the next week, understand?"
Why do these guys get so emotional and loud when they play soccer? They always look like they're about to fight. Wait...are they?
"Go get both water bottles you kicked and bring them to me. If your temper doesn't cool down, I can't afford to have you out here with the others."
"No, Amine, I do not have a brother. Yes, I do have a sister. Yes, she is married. No, she doesn't have children. Yes, I'd like to be married one day. No, I won't marry you."
Sigh.
One more day.
Thursday, December 21, 2006
The Recess Queen
Posted by SP at 2:13 PM


14 worthy responses:
Wow. I'm sorry!
Nice. I see the names have remained unchanged to incriminate the guilty.
Shan - go read my blog!
drh, however did you know?
haha! classic! that's too funny!!
I certainly know how you feel... Fortunately I haven't dealt with that in, oh, 6 months, but it sounds like it never changes from 1st grade up through middle school :) Steph
Change those names to American classics, and you have my life from 1:35-1:55 every single day. Oh, and add "Remember, NO MONKEY BARS until 2nd grade. What did I JUST say. Get OFF the monkey bars. OFF. I said OFF."
I needed that laugh break girl!! I can't wait to see you in action at recess. hehehe
Too funny!!! I loved this post. I needed a good laugh this week. I could just hear you saying all of that as well : ) Love ya, Miss ya
Hey.. welcome to my world. I totally understand! Love you and Merry Christmas!
I remember one time at recess a LOOONNNGGG time ago this little story.... There was a boy that was so annoying to EVERYONE and got on everybody's nerves. You know the type. He just couldn't leave people alone. He kept picking on this special Ed. kid. Well one day... Mrs. Leonard said "OH, OH there is a fight going on down at the fence. Well Mr. D and I looked and would normally run down and break it up, but the spec. ed. kid evidently had taken enough from this kid and was just pounding on him! We both looked at each other and said, "Fight? we don't see a fight??? Where is the fight??? Anyway, they both lived but the sp. ed. kid really smacked the annoying kid around and he had a hard time living with that the rest of the year and actually became easier to be around!
That is a typical "recess" for first grade too!
I don't know how you elementary teachers do it every day. You're my heroes!
Alright gals, y'all live this for mere minutes a day....ya gotta try it 24/7 with no breaks for 18 yrs! :)
Post a Comment