Friday, January 19, 2007

Italy Picture File #2

Straight from the files of Lauren: more Italy pics! Wow, have I ever mentioned how much I love this country? My heart beats for it, the people, and their language! Just the simple act of hearing it spoken can bring tears to my eyes.

Below, a closer shot of the Ponte Vecchio. This is the bridge that comes alive at night. Usually there are local singers playing their guitars and selling their CDs. It was bitterly cold, but totally worth it! Local tradition: Sweethearts clasp a lock on metal rods lining the Arno River and throw the key into the river to signify their everlasting love. We thought the combination locks were interesting. Does this mean the sweethearts get to change their mind?

Joni and me on Christmas Day. We were invited to share a meal with the church family. It was so delicilous! I sat next to Antonio! Hehehe
The Ponte Vecchio in the background. Do you see the line of small windows at the top of the bridge? This is actually an escape route. It connects the Palazzo Vecchio (Old Palace) with the Pitti Palace. In case of invasion the prince would use it to run to the Pitti Palace which was much more fortified.
This is an Italian phrase which says, "I love Georgia!" I promise I was not the graffiti artist!
The facade of the precious convent where we stayed. I highly recommend it to any future travelers to Italy. (Note: most of the nuns only speak Italian and some French!)
Finally a pic of Lisa B.! I don't know how she managed to elude the camera every time, but here she is (though she isn't looking at the lens). Melissa, Lauren and Lisa B. on the vaporetto in Venice.
Beginning our trip down the Grand Canal. It looks sunny here, but by the time we reached Piazza di San Marco where the Basilica is, it had gotten completely foggy!
One of the stops I just HAD to make: Piazza Michelangelo. It has a fantastic view of the city. These are all the N. Africa girls. Lisa T., me, Lauren and Melissa.

9 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

I think Italy is calling me too.........we'll have to make another trip. It's all as beautiful as I remember!

Allie Marie Photography said...

Avvertimento: Nessuno andrĂ  all'Italia senza me o sarĂ² forzato per strappare i loro braccii!

Love you Aunt Linda.

(Sorry if my Italian is a little rusty.)

Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue what Allie just said but I have a feeling it says something about hoping to visit one day. Allie, your Italian blows me away. You sneaky thing...hiding your fluency in it...you will just have to go to keep it fresh in your mind for the day when you get you use it for real.

Florence is still beautiful! I hope to spend some time there, again someday, with BOTH of my girls and son-in-law!

Mom

Anonymous said...

ME TOO......don't forget the SNOOP SISTER!

Anonymous said...

Allie's translation....."Warning: Nobody will go to Italy without me or will be forced in order
to tear theirs braccii!" I know what you mean, but it didn't come out that way with the translator! lol!

SP said...

Allie...that is TOO hilarious! I'm cracking up! Thanks for the laugh!

(You better be saving your monies for next Christmas! Heehee)

SP said...

Aunt Linda...to tear off their arms!

Bella Sera said...

OK I realize this is a family post, but I'm butting in since you are all like family anyway. I second mom and think you should take a family trip considering the family history and all. And how weird that Allie knows Italian and yet has never been! Chris save that money, your bride is itching for a trip. I will say that traveling with this family is one of the best experiences of my life. Shannon you should start a side business of "tour guide". Like I've told you before, I love to travel with you. The love I have for Italy is something that I one day hope to explore, even though I'm not Italian!! Until then the memories of that trip are vivid in my mind. Aunt Linda and Mom I hope your legs have recovered from my fast pace through Italy :)lol

Anonymous said...

Dont forget meeeeeeee.......... I feel so left out...... I need a outing after sitting on my butt for 12 hours a day hearing stupid people and their stupid problems.... At least people In Sumter County are not as ridioulous then the people in Sarasota... They know when its bed time and not to bother our Deputies and they are soooo good that the other cities in Sumter County can have their officers go home at 2 am.. but its kinda scary there can be a murder in a town and there is no police..... Anyways I will go to Italy I love the old history..... so there is no if ands or butts about it I WILL GO so call my sherrif and tell him i'm heading to Italy next time you go... And Shan you look S-E-X-Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you make me proud............ I love you SHAN HUN