Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Italy Pictures: File #3


Ahhhh! Firenze! (A.K.A. Florence) My favorite bigger city in Italy. My second favorite city in the world. (Rome and Atlanta are tied.) To the left is a picture of the San Lorenzo market. (These are Melissa's pics -- the final in my Italy volumes.)




Lauren and me (pre-haircut) in front of the Palazzo Vecchio bell tower. The building to the right and left is the Uffizi. It is one of the most famous art museums in the world.
This is Siena's duomo, or cathedral. It is my dad's and my favorite. It is beautifully striped with black and white marble. On the inside, lining the walls near the ceiling, are marble busts of almost every pope.
The cuppola inside Siena's duomo. This pic doesn't do it justice. You just have to be there. It is huge and curved with a skylight at the top. Royal blue with 3D gold stars.
Siena's Piazza del Campo. You can see the belltower to the cathedral jutting out above the skyline to the top right. Though chilly and drizzly this day, it doesn't hinder the locals and tourists from socializing. In the summer it becomes a great hang-out spot, complete with a fountain for cooling off while sunbathing. The famous Palio horserace happens around this piazza two times every year. The neighborhood horses and riders parade through their section of town proudly displaying their neighborhood's colors. The horse and rider go into their local cathedral and are blessed by the priest. If the horse leaves droppings on the cathedral floor, it is said to be good luck. (Ha!)
The belltower on the palace in the Piazza del Camp. I've never climbed it before, but Ricky (A.K.A. Rick Steves -- my #1 Go-To man when traveling) says it's a great place to view Tuscany.
Roma eterna! The eternal city of Rome. This is THE oldest and most well-preserved building from antiquity: The Pantheon. Unfortunately, it was closed because it was New Year's Day, but I did get to walk up to the massive doors (you can see them between the third and fourth columns from the left) and peek through the crack. Amazing! It's so weird to think that this building, stuck in the heart of Rome (you can tell because of the "newer" apartments on the right of the picture) has been around since New Testament times!
The Roman Forum. Though mostly ruins now, it was once the center of ancient Rome. I had to close my eyes to imagine what it was like in all its splendor with people walking and talking and doing business.

Though I did not get a picture at the Trevi Fountain (Fontana di Trevi), I made sure to throw not one, not two, but SIX coins over my shoulder. Maybe that will REALLY guarantee my return! ;)

Ciao con amore!

9 worthy responses:

Bella Sera said...

Ciao Bella!! I thought you were going to say that the cathedral was your dad's favorite because he ordered duomo tea. lol 6 coins in the Trevi Fountain, girl, I know you love it and all but are you forshadowing something? :) I'm wondering if the person cleaning up the horse poop thinks it's lucky? Just a thought, especially since Heath Ledger "disgraces the house of God" in a Knight's Tale when, on horseback, he follows a "Fox" (aka Lady Jocelyn) into a cathedral.
The pictures are really good and it looks super cold! Glad you're sporting the Italian way to wear your scarf hehehe

Bella Sera said...

Ciao Bella!! I thought you were going to say that the cathedral was your dad's favorite because he ordered duomo tea. lol 6 coins in the Trevi Fountain, girl, I know you love it and all but are you forshadowing something? :) I'm wondering if the person cleaning up the horse poop thinks it's lucky? Just a thought, especially since Heath Ledger "disgraces the house of God" in a Knight's Tale when, on horseback, he follows a "Fox" (aka Lady Jocelyn) into a cathedral.
The pictures are really good and it looks super cold! Glad you're sporting the Italian way to wear your scarf hehehe

Anonymous said...

man, that cathedral is amazing looking. that would be my favorite too. :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...what memories...sitting in the Piazza del Campo and drinking duomo tea!, walking for what seemed like hours in the museums looking at all the swan paintings!!! Yes, I remember it well. Thanks for the pictures, I'll never forget our little trip! - Love, Dad

Becky said...

DANG IT BLOGGER! I have been stuck on "Say What?" for days now until Katie told me to refresh! I hate that because then I have to read like six posts in a hurry and only comment on the latest!

I LOVE your Italy pictures...makes me want to post my own, even though the trip was 6 years ago! Isn't it amazing how the Pantheon is stuck in a crowded square with all those modern buildings mere feet from it? I love how there's purposefully a hole in the roof and when it rains...well, I just gets wet!

The forums are amazing...they really do inspire the imagination to visualize what it looked like 2000 years ago. My parents bout a great book that has pictures of all the ruins. Each page has a clear overlay that "finishes" the photographs to show what it used to look like.

Becky said...

Oh also, the convent you stayed at in Florence looks A LOT like the one we stayed in...I may have to go back to look and see. If it is, I may post that picture for a flashback!

Bella Sera said...

You got my vote Becky I'd love to see the pictures. ok blog Miss Blog Controller, I just want to defend my 2 posts :) it posted twice because it kept making me type in the "word" and it would not take my word. Obviously it took it twice. UGH blogger! gotta love it though.

Anonymous said...

Loved the pics. I truly am living vicariously at times through you!
The Pantheon. . . never thought of it being in the "middle of what is now town." Kind of like the Alamo in San Antonio. When you think of it, you think of it in the middle of a desert. Oh no, there is a mall across the (very busy) street.
:)

SP said...

Jenn J., very true! I was shocked by the Alamo as well!