Second only to The Word (which is the BEST Book ever written), my favorite book in the world is Holes by Louis Sachar. I am reading this book for the eighteenth time. (I read it to my students in every class every year.) Louis Sachar is such an amazing author (afterall, we named a bluebird after him -- his mate was Natalie), and he weaves such an amazing depth of plot that I find something new every time I read the book. I'm not kidding. (Of course, I could just be dumb.)
Though not as good, Holes the movie is still decent. I am showing this movie to my seventh and eighth graders in my "Themes in Media" class. While watching this movie on Monday, something suddenly hit me. Something new that I'd never noticed in the eighteen times that I've read it before and the ten times that I've seen it before!
My all-time, hands-down, number one movie in the entire universe is The Count of Monte Cristo. Goodness knows how many times I've seen it. I also do a huge four-week interdisciplinary unit built around this movie. And it never fails. As with Holes I constantly learn something new from this one as well.
So...what books and movies "do it" for you and why? (Thought this would be a great place to get new ideas.)
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Accolades
Posted by SP at 11:58 AM


9 worthy responses:
I must say that this question slightly disturbed me. As a person who loves literature and movies, I feel like I am having an inner crisis because I cannot pinpoint my favorite. I will have to say that recently, I fell in love with the Chronicles of Narnia. I'm not a person who likes to watch movies over and over again, but I would watch this one a million times. There is a sense of wonder woven into it that I have not seen elsewhere. As for a book, I just read Anna Karenina and LOVED it. However, I think my favorite book is Beach Music by Pat Conroy. Although, I read it a long time ago and feel like I should read it again before I make a definitive claim. Sorry for the long response.
NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, as for books.....Hatchet, Brian's Winter, Brian's Return, The River and Brian's Hunt...all written by Gary Paulsen, one of the best writer's for middle school that I have ever read! Since I teach 6th graders I guess my mind is on the level of a 6th grader, even though my family might tell you it's not because I teach 6th graders!!! He is an amazing young reader's author and has written over 200 books for that age! As for movies...Now don't laugh, these are movies I've chosen based on things that are important in my life...let's start with "The Bell's of St. Marys," then "It's a Wonderful Life," "The Godfather," and "Schindler's List" OK everyone, let's here what your are! - Dad
I read Holes to my 4th graders and they loved it! And I love the Count of MC too! remember how i met His Hotness Jim Caviezal? :)
My all time fave movie-Terms of Endearment..i still cry watching it...
Is it already time to read Holes? Did you save me a seat in class because you know how much I love hearing you read aloud? Or maybe it's just how much I love to be read to. Plus I miss how you do the voices!! Either way, I'm missing being able to escape from my office and "blend in" with your former students. lol Trust me people, if you like to be read to, Shannon is your girl!
OK favorite book: Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
Ladies if you've not read it, trust me, it's a keeper!!! I don't look at the book of Hosea in the same way now.
Favorite movie(s)..that's tough..Lady and the Tramp (Disney of course), 7 Brides for 7 Brothers (musical and a good one), While you were sleeping, A walk to remember, and Ever After. Pirates of the Caribbean. Too many to choose from!!
I'm gonna have to go with Redeeming Love, too. SO good! Middle school books though, I did enjoy Esperanze Rising and The Giver. True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle was pretty good too. Movies...tough, but a few would be Billy Madison (anything Adam Sandler), My Girl, Stepmom, Oceans 11, The Score to name a few. I certainly miss you reading Holes, too! And I must say that your unit on TCOMC is flippin' amazing! I LOVE IT!!!
Okay, you know that as a rule, I do not do favorites...only top 5's. That being said, Redeeming Love is my all-time favorite book, hands-down. Best book I have ever read!
Favorite Movies: When Harry Met Sally, Steel Magnolias, All of the Godfather movies, The Sound of Music, Finding Nemo... probably more. I did love The Count of MC too!
I still have not seen or read Holes yet. I think I will put that on my to-do list this year in your honor!!
Love you!
Kelly
I know Mandy tried to explain once and came up a little short, but "The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster is an amazing story. Younger kids can see it as a coming of age story, but sixth graders and middle schoolers are much more likely to understand the literal vs. figurative meanings entwined throughout the story. Either way, it's just a highly entertaining story. I do NOT recommend the movie, a pathetic animated version of the story.
As far as movies, my favorite movie that isn't like Star Wars or something fun is "A League of Their Own". I don't know how you could teach it except that it is a great piece of American history.
READ THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH!!!!!!!! I love "Holes" too, and TPT is every bit as good, trust me!
Ok. I am excited at this point. Does this post mean you actually got to do the Themes in Media idea for your elective class? Please fill me in. If so, how "stinkin' cool."
I have never been good at picking favorite things. It may be because of my indecisiveness. But I do know that Count of Monte Cristo is one of my absolute faves.
Love you
I'm so excited that you have a "themes of media class"! That is perfect for you. Like Jenn said... feel me in. Well as far as my favorite book it is defiently Redeeming Love. Hands down. No questions asked. Although in middle school we read To Kill a Mockingbird and I still love it.
Post a Comment