I'm a music geek. I've always loved music and everything about it. I think Allie and I got it honestly from our very musically inclined parents. I thank God that He gave us parents who loved and appreciated music. As a result of being a music geek, I love ALL kinds of music. All. There is at least one song from country, rap, rock, pop, techno, classical, ska, punk, heavy metal, easy listening, and alternative that I like.
What really gets me though, are people who are talented enough to compose music. Especially musical scores. And they're talented enough to put out hundreds of compositions.
Think about it; what are movies without music? Nothing! Completely boring. I understand that some people might not notice the music because they are so into the dialogue. But for me, it is the opposite. Sometimes I don't notice the dialogue because I'm so into the music.
Allie and I sometimes disagree about who the best composer should be.
Probably the most well-known composer is John Williams. He deserves it. With smash hits like Jaws, E.T., Stars Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, and Superman, how can he not be amazing?
But I've never been one to go with the most popular. My favorite? Hans Zimmer. You might know his music, even if you don't recognize his name. If you've ever seen any of these, you've been exposed to his music: King Arthur; The Last Samurai; Tears of the Sun; Black Hawk Down; Pearl Harbor; Mission Impossible II; The Thin Red Line; The Prince of Egypt; Crimson Tide; Driving Miss Daisy; or Rain Man.
But my favorites of his are Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest and Curse of the Black Pearl, Gladiator, and Batman Begins.
I'm interested...who is your favorite? You might have to go to the International Movie Database to find out his or her name. Just type in the movie and look for composer.
PS - Allie, in an effort to sway you, did you know that Zimmer also composed for The Lion King, Riding in Cars with Boys, and A League of Their Own? ;)
Sunday, September 03, 2006
Music Touches the Soul
Posted by SP at 7:53 AM


17 worthy responses:
Being "older" I too am grateful for have parents that loved music. They were never muscial in the way of singing or playing an instrument but just loved all kinds of music. My father was in whoesale electronics and therefore had the best stereos of the time and played his 33 1/2 rpm records a lot. He loved sitting in his easy chair listening to his stereo where I remember him always listening to jazz or the blues and when I started middle school band he played the "Big Bands" and John Phillip Sousa all of the time. My mother loved going to see the musicals on the big screen and I'll never forget the first muscical they took us to see as a family - "The Sound of Music" (Composed by Richard Rodgers - one of the old greats!) So they both contributed to my love for music. As for John Williams - I agree - amazing composer and don't forget, he also did Jurrasic Park and Saving Private Ryan (great music in those movies!) As for music that I would enjoy kicking back to it would have to be two composers. First from a younger time - Oscar Hammerstein II. If you've ever seen the old musicals you have to love "Oklahoma", "South Pacific" and "Sound of Music". My favorite to listen to since you and Allie have been around would be Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber who composed Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, Cats and of course The Phantom of the Opera. Man you two have taught me a lot! Love you, Dad
I was wondering if anyone would respond. I guess it takes a geeky dad to respond to his geeky daughter's message. Love you! ;)
I love it too! I agree with Mr. Henry, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Weber all terrific. I have to say my abolute fav would have to be John Williams. He also did "Far and Away," "Schindler's List," and the modern Olympic themes. Amazing. His mind is amazing.
John Williams ROCKS! He is the most well-known because he is the best! However, I do love the score to POTC--very swashbuckling!
I have to agree with Becky on this one...
and i am like you, girl..music is like my freaking life! i love every kind! from James Taylor and Otis Redding to Nelly and Kenny Chesney...I love it all!!!
Ok, love both John Williams and Hans Zimmer obviously. But you forgot James Horner! He wrote music for Titanic, The New World, Troy, A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, Glory, Field of Dreams, and my favorite score from a movie: Legends of the Fall.
And not to mention classics like The Land Before Time, Cocoon, Willow, and American Tail!
Give him some respect, people!
Hahaha! I was wondering if you would bring him up. I knew Titanic had been left off the list. Who can forget it? Once you get that stupid song in your head it won't leave! ;)
(And, Al, I want to know the truth...did you look him up on imdb to get all his good ones? I did!)
Of course! IMDB rocks!! Haha. :) But I didn't know he did Titanic and Legends of the Fall...my favorites!
I mean, I DID know he did Titanic and Legends of the Fall. My bad...
I love, love, LOVE the Legend of the Fall music. It might be my all-time fav, which would put me with Allie on the side of James Horner. (Although, the fact that I hummed the Titanic music for most of spring semester 1998 makes me not want to give him my vote. Plus, the song is in my head RIGHT NOW just thinking about it.)
OH! I just had a flashback!!! Becky, do you remember staying up late that night figuring out how to play the Titanic song on our recorders for Music for Teachers, hoping for extra credit? Man, our prof was so irritated by our group...you, me, Josh Seabolt and that guy that looked like Gary Sinise...remember that??? Hahahah!!!
Yes, you me Josh and Mark!!!! Josh always wanted to play Hot Cross Buns, but we so stepped it up with our Titanic rendition!!!!
I can't remember...was she impressed or not?
Touche everyone. James Horner. His name is not as well known, but his scores are indeed haunting. I do have to say, that being reminded of them, I would choose "Legands of the Fall" and "Glory" as some of my absolute favorites. I would not however, choose "Titanic."
Wow! I'm glad that I've had this much response! ;)
Ok, well it took me a while to respond....geeeesh....how can I even come close to all of these responses? My musical SOUL is so eclectic! I can tolerate most any music to a certain degree as long as it doesn't TWANG too much.
I, unlike Hen, DID NOT come from musical parents even though all four of us kids in the family sang or played a musical instumental even after high school. EVERY Sunday morning I woke up to the "Old Time Gospel Hour" with the radio BLASTING at 7am...and you know what time most of us need to be somewhere.... hours later!!! And I do remember the MITCH MILLER records playing...."Hello my honey, hello my baby, hello my ragtime gal.....send me a kiss by wire...baby my heart's on fire" .......eeeeenough already!!!
I will have to say that my junior high band, high school chorus, and band experience open the flood gates to the love of music that I have today. There is always a "song in my heart"..and girls, can you sing the first words to this song (whatever might be playing in the car) before me? "WE know, dad....who sang that song?"
So, all of you have hit on some of my all-time favorites but what about Howard Shore, "Lord of the Rings", "Silence of the Lambs", "Seven"? If I had to pick one favorite today..probably Hans Zimmer... tomorrow that might change.
PS... gooooooo Barry Manilow!!! LOL
Mom...nice try on the Manilow, but it doesn't count! ;) Thanks for voting for Hans, even if it was just to make me feel better!
Post a Comment