One of the "cool" things to do on campus, if you are a student, is to catch one of the hundreds of moths flying around by the wings, inspect it, (sometimes torture it), and then let it go. Today, my students yelled, "Miss! Miss! (the popular name for any female teacher) Come look!" I walked over and found this moth, obviously a little lost. He must have flown over to say hi from UGA because he was all decked out in red, black, and white. I think it was a sign. A sign that UGA will divide and conquer this year.
On a different note, I actually planned a science experiment today. (Nevermind the fact that all the students had seen it before and it was spelled out for me in the teacher's edition.) So I guess I'm not the world's WORST science teacher. Only the second-worst. Though the experiment was directed towards earth science, I used it in life science, too. I brought three different bowls and some birthday candles. (When the students saw the birthday candle stuck to some putty on a piece of paper, they immediately broke out into the birthday song.)
You know the rest...I lit the candle, and we timed how long it would stay lit under each bowl. In life science we talked about living things and what they need to survive. We discussed whether fire is living or not since it needs oxygen. In earth science we talked about the elements of the atmosphere. (I'm totally digging my weather and climate class!) As you can tell, we had a good time. (I know I'm short, but I promise I reach the podium. Here I'm just leaning over to observe the flame more.)

As I type this, I'm reminded of a few similarities. Metaphorically speaking, this country can sometimes seem like a world with limited oxygen. Darkness is definitely here.
Also, remember "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine"? Well, there's a reason why we shouldn't hide it under a "bushel." Not only does it fail to give off light then, but it also is starved of oxygen and could die.
Father, because of my fear, may I not be accused of hiding Your light in a land that is dark and oxygen-deprived. Be glorified!


8 worthy responses:
The picture of you looks like one that you would have taken at Model...you already look so comfortable there!! :)
Go Dawgs!! That moth is really pretty!
How cool are you! It is going to be fun for us to watch as you discover that because of your love of knowledge and sincere delight in all things, you are going to be a GREAT teacher of more than just language arts. You are going to rock at science and so many other things (volleyball still ?). I am proud of you!
Great observations and insight. Really.
Miss you
did the moth still have the note attached to its belly? the note that said 'WE MISS YOU'?
You could not hide your light even if you wanted to! When I think of Shannon, I think of her beautiful light - always shining and inspiring others to shine a little brighter too!
I love you!
Kelly
(Love the picture! Makes me miss you even more next door!!)
You do look comfortable there. I am so excited for you. One important thing: GO VOLS!!
You know I love you.
guuuurl-you like real smart and stuff, ain't you? love the science stuff! and that moth is way cool!love the pic of you at the podium!
Love the pictures from your window, your science class experiments and especially the picture of you at the podium. We all loved talking to you Monday night. I still can't figure out how that works. Unfortunately, I am going to have to send my GaTech frog over there to take care of that moth. (I couldn't think of anything else that eats moths--besides lizards). Love you soooomuch.
As soon as you sent me the picture with the candle I instantly thought "This little light of mine....I'm going to let HER shine!!" I couldn't get the song out of my head for the rest of the day.
I would say that our family is having some unusual visits from moths...who will be our next visitor and what will it look like?
I love you and miss you SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment