Friday, September 01, 2006

It's Gettin' Hot in Here...

Oh my goodness, today was wonderful!! I can't wait to share more with you about my kids. But for right now, I'm exhausted. And there's a reason.

It is hot. Extremely hot. Hotter than I've ever been in...ever. Today it was 102 degrees, a wind of a whopping 2 miles per hour, and humidity of 84%. Though I've heard that we might be in a region of latitude dubbed by sailors of yore as the doldrums, upon further investigations, I've realized that we are in the Horse Latitudes. You might find this interesting:

Horse Latitudes
Between about 30° to 35° north and 30° to 35° south of the equator lies the region known as the horse latitudes or the subtropical high. This region of subsiding dry air and high pressure results in weak winds. Tradition states that sailors gave the region of the subtropical high the name "horse latitudes" because ships relying on wind power stalled; fearful of running out of food and water, sailors threw their horses and cattle overboard to save on provisions. (It's a puzzle why sailors would not have eaten the animals instead of throwing them overboard.) The Oxford English Dictionary claims the origin of the term "uncertain."

Major deserts of the world, such as the Sahara and the Great Australian Desert, lie under the high pressure of the horse latitudes.

The region is also known as the Calms of Cancer in the northern hemisphere and the Calms of Capricorn in the southern hemisphere.

So we're in the Horse Latitudes. (Did you catch the part about weak winds?) And it's August -- the hottest month in this country. And today was the start of school. Keep in mind: NO A.C. Not in the classrooms. At all.

The kids handled it very well. Very few complained. It is great that they are allowed to have water because they definitely needed it!

Today was a great day, and I have some wonderful little sixth graders. Here are some pics of my classroom. I'll post more later!

The windows overlook the ocean. Except you can't see the ocean because it is so hazy. Soon I will post pictures of the the view.

The other side. Do you see all the cubbies? Don't worry; I don't have them all in class at the same time.

Not so organized anymore. Looks like sixth graders take a lot more training than eighth.

14 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

you have 48 kids????? oh wow!
and no AC? you're a good woman, girl! i would be whining like a baby! i am so glad you like it there! i bet you are a wonderful teacher...those kids are so lucky!

SP said...

Clarification: I don't have 48 kids at one time. That's just how many cubbies I have. Ha! That would be a nightmare!

Anonymous said...

What a cute classroom! And right next to the ocean? How will the kids learn? Probably because Shannon is their teacher... :) Miss you!

Bella Sera said...

Did you do your afternoon duty of "straightening the desks"? Some things CAN'T change! I like that about you. The room looks great and you'd never know that was not a real bulletin board. Good job...now go take a nap! Oh can you have a fan in class??

Becky said...

I like the tables instead of chairs...very "prep school". Sorry about the weather. We are taking a turn for the better. It's going to be highs of 85 for the next 10 days or so, and you know September is one of the nicest months in the south.

I can't believe that about the horses and the cows!

Mandy said...

Wow, Shan! Your classroom looks great! Sorry about the weather--I know it must be...stuffy...(that is such an understatement, I know! I can't event come up with a word that would fit 105 with no AC)

Becky said...

I'm very tired...I just looked back and saw what I wrote. I meant to say tables instead of DESKS! Time for bed.

Anonymous said...

becky- you really think spetember is a great month down here?it still feels like summer till november!!!

Anonymous said...

I thought I had explained the horse latitudes to you before! That is part of the Earth Science curriculum I teach.. and by the way...if the sailors would have eaten the horses it wouldn't have gotten rid of any of the weight ...would it??? I love the classroom! - "Thinking" of you!

Becky said...

Yeah, but it's amuch more tolerable summer. Instead of 98 degrees, it's only about 85-89 degrees...tolerable.

Anonymous said...

The room is terrific! I love it! I am so glad your first day went well.
Just think, you are literally in the "doldrums," very few people can say that.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I'm sorry it's so hot. But that just means that you get to be MORE hott (with two t's) than you already are. hahaha. Your room looks great! I can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Your classroom looks great! Sorry about the weather. When will it cool off?

Anonymous said...

I love it when a teacher uses "wonderful" to describe the first day of class! And it's even better when she's at a new school. Don't worry---soon you'll be cold! Big hugs!