Tuesday, June 27, 2006

ENFP looking for ISTJ

So we took the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator while at training. It might come as no shock to you that I am an ENFP. Extravert – Intuitive – Feeling – Perceiving.

ENFP’s:
Want to be genuine and communicate authentically
Want to make a difference in people’s lives
Are sensitive to subtleties in gestures and behavior not visible to other types
Speak and write fluently
Often are what others need them to be
Empathize
See possibilities
Communicate appreciation, enthusiasm, and approval
Are powerful people-people
Aware of others’ feelings
Avoid conflict
Rescue everybody and everything, even if they’re not ready (Ring a bell, Mom and Dad?)
Idealists
Want to help
Are most troubled by guilt and false guilt

A perfect song that would describe me would be “Getting to Know You” from The King and I.

Two things stuck out to me today as the teacher, a 60+ year old woman who was also an ENFP (pretty weird since we only make up 6-7% of the population), taught the class.

First of all, ENFP’s have the extraordinary goal of becoming, but can’t describe what that means. In other words, we could go our whole lives not really knowing who we are. This is definitely me! I often wonder who it is I really am. Am I the same at school as home? Alone as with people? She explained that we need to settle who we are in Christ.

Second, she made a remark on the side that she probably would never realize made a profound effect on me. She said that God didn’t transform her into this quiet little mouse who sits in the corner when she became a Christian. She still had her same LOUD personality! Wow! I’ve many, many, MANY times wished I were more quiet and gentle, often labeling myself as loud and abrasive. She went on to explain that God didn’t change her personality. He created her that way. Instead, he changed her tongue. From cutting down people to lifting them up. He changed her heart, not her personality.

It was refreshing to realize there is nothing wrong with me. Now, my prayer needs to be that God changes my tongue – and that I’m open to the change.

Speaking of prayer, she put up prayers of all the different personality types. These were in jest, but they pretty much summed up the personalities. The funny prayer for my personality type was: “God, help me keep my mind on one thing…Oh, look! A bird!...at a time.” Too funny!

So, to refer to the title…Apparently there is only one type of guy that I should marry. An ISTJ. Introvert – Sequential – Thinker – Judge. One whose prayer says, “Lord, help me begin relaxing about little details at 11:41 AM.” Yuck. Good luck with that. I can’t ever see me with someone like that!

5 worthy responses:

Mandy said...

Hey! Don't YUCK the ISTJ. I am an ISTJ. Now, where can we find you a guy that is a freak like me? :)

Mandy said...

Oh, I bet I know. The IRS... Lots of ISTJs (or Concrete Sequentials) in beuacracy.

SP said...

Hahahaha! Forgot who was reading! Are you really an ISTJ? Have you taken Myers-Briggs? If not, I highly recommend it.

Mandy said...

I have, and I am :) Actually, I have taken it several different times, but I found an online version recently and retested to see if I am still an ISTJ...and I am!

Anonymous said...

Love the froggie! I think HE was an ISTJ ! Glad you are doing well, how can I mail you if I don't know where to mail something to?? Miss you!