Monday, April 10, 2006

Holy NO Cannoli!

Ever had that craving for a favorite food? Then had it smashed into a thousand pieces because you couldn't have it?

That happened to me tonight.

My favorite dessert in the WHOLE world (literally) is cannoli. The last time I had it was in Sorento, Italy over two years ago. That's a long time. Too long.

Over the past three days I've passed a dessert case in two different restaurants that had fresh cannoli. This is a rarity in and among itself. Our town doesn't have an overwhelming population of cannolis (even if we are named after an Italian city). I knew I was going back to the restaurant tonight to celebrate a friend's birthday. This was it: our night. Mine and the cannoli's.

I spotted the chocolate dipped cannoli in the case even as we were waiting. I brought my camera for a perfect blogable moment. We sat down and began ordering, and I mentioned to the waitress that I would be ordering that great cannoli in the case after my meal came. She said, "Oh, is there a cannoli left?"

"Yes, it's right ---" WHAT!? WHERE WAS MY CANNOLI? WHO TOOK MY CANNOLI? I wanted to go on a rampage through the entire restaurant and yank that poor little cannoli out from under some fool's nose who ordered it without even knowing what it was. Someone who didn't even appreciate it and recognize its worth.

I never did find the little lost cannoli. Mandy suggested going to the other restaurant to pick one up, but it just wasn't the same. My dinner had been ruined. (Not really, but it sure sounds dramatic.)

So, this was what my plate looked like. All alone. No cannoli.


And this is what I had to have instead...



Yeah, right. "Real" Italian Ice. Whatever.

7 worthy responses:

Mandy said...

So, you didn't get cannoli, but you did get a great blogable moment!!

Anonymous said...

oooohhh, i would have been mad too..the italian ice is no canoli...paul and i go to Provino's for my b-day every year becuase the birthday person gets a free dinner and free dessert..guess what i order? CANOLI, baby!!! that's right! and guess when my b-day is? may 9th!! less than a month and i'll be knee deep in canoli!

Becky said...

Reminds me of the time when I was pregnant with Patrick and I wanted strawberry ice cream, because it has all those delicious frozen strawberry chunks in it. I sent Luke out to get it and, thinking himself very clever and figuring I'd probably want chocolate the next day anyway, he got neopolitan...which had NO CHUNKS! Oh, the wrath of a pregnant woman...I really still have not gotten over that.

Anonymous said...

I must say...always thinking of the perfect blogable moments. Way to go! You probably deserve not only teacher of the year, but blogger of the year. I can't wait for the "blog-off" on Thursday!

Anonymous said...

well well well, shannon..looks like someone has already named you the best blogger....she basically declared you the winner of pet blog-off.....girl, you best be bringin' it tomorrow...oh, yes, you better bring IT! whohooooo!!!!
hahhaha! :)

SP said...

Hahaha! I don't self-proclaim myself the best blogger by any means. ;) I'm a little worried about bringin' it tomorrow. I got nothin'!

Anonymous said...

shannon-where did you hear that blasphemy about The Silver Fox? Lies, i say, all big lies!