
I am sitting outside tonight, talking on my cell phone, as dusk settles in around me. This town is absolutely silent. It truly is podunkville, but I love every part of it! It's gorgeous with it's rolling hills, gurgling streams, vegetable gardens, and Amish buggies. As I'm talking, lights glow in the townhouses across the parking lot. Other families from training are staying there. One set of parents have opened up their townhouse to all of the teens, and you can hear them playing a game. It's rowdy, involves group participation, and must be extremely addictive, because I've noticed them playing it all week. Every once in a while cheers from the townhouse will float across the parking lot to me. And in that moment, it dawns on me. Those parents must be the coolest parents on this trip. I know. How? Well, because I know what it's like to have the coolest parents in the world. Parents who allow the door to swing open on its hinges more than shut. Parents who gladly welcome in all ages of teens -- feed them, listen to them, and love them. I grew up with parents who allowed our youth group to take over our house. Mom always referred to our house as Grand Central Station. She was right. It was. And I'm glad to see that there are other parents out there just like that.
Saturday, July 01, 2006
Grand Central Station
Posted by SP at 10:53 PM


9 worthy responses:
ahhhh, that picture is so cute, shannon! you are truly blessed.
Well... that put me in tears! We are just so blessed to have a daughter that loves being with us and sharing her thoughts and dreams. You are a blessing to us and God has great plans for you. I Love You Shan-wormie!
I love you bunches.....I cannot wait to see what God has in store for you next.....Shannon means "little old wise one" and "a gift from God". We truly believe that both of our girls were a gift from God!
I love you, Shan
Mom
What the heck? I have been stuck on Monica's big hair with 4 comments for 3 days now!!!! Katie told me this afternoon that you had a ton of new stuff up. I click "refresh" and VOILA! Like 10 posts! I just wanted you to know that I haven't been ignoring you. Looks like you've been having fun!
Your parents are pretty awesome. They not only allowed your whole youth group to take over the house, but they allowed MY whole youth group from out of state to take over yall's house...without them there! We almost burned the place down and I certainly had my emotional breakdown there, but we loved it and appreciate it still. Who would have thought our friendship would have turned to where it is today if it wasn't for your parents' hospitality! I love you and miss you girl. Praying for you (especially for Friday)
Emily, you're awesome!!! Thanks so much!
We really do have the best parents in the world! :)
You're so right Al!
Well I must comment on this one!! Being affectionately known as "the other daughter" is a term I will miss. I have often thought that I want my home to be like yours when I'm grown and married. I have learned a lot from the family as a whole and must say I'm hooked on Bonko!!! or is it Bunko?? Whatever, I love it and the love that welcomes you as you enter the door each time....not to mention my favorite kitty hehehe
Post a Comment