Monday, November 27, 2006

Christmas in North Africa

Wow! What a surprise we found last night. We had heard that there were some much coveted Christmas decorations at our local "Wal-Mart." And we heard right! There were about three or four shelves of goodies that were relatively cheap. We bought this wreath for about a few dollars. We also bought the tallest Christmas tree they had: 210 cm. Don't ask me how tall that is. I haven't learned how to convert yet. (And no snide remarks about that either!) The funniest part was watching all the women in their head scarfs loading up their shopping carts with decorations. Interesting... At first we were a little worried about the tree. It resembled Charlie Brown's more than a nice, plump American retail store tree.
But, it began to fluff out quite nicely in time.
Still unsure about these lights, though. For the life of me I can't figure out why you would need MORE plain wire than you actually have lights. My roommate suggested for decorating houses. But let me tell you, house decorations really aren't in high demand over here!
Bethany and me posing with our two cute stuffed animals we bought as we attempt to place the lights where you can't actually see the wires. (A feat in itself!) Oh the good memories it brought back from my childhood of my Dad hanging the lights on the tree. No wonder they have pre-lit now.
Sure, they sell ornaments. But not hooks. It's all about being resourceful in this land with no Christmas. So, we just decided to use all the small colored paperclips in our classrooms.
And then the ribbon that tied the ornament boxes together was cut down to make tiny bows for the tree.
When it was all said and done, it didn't look so bad. It's not much, but it is enough to get us in the Christmas mood and ease our homesickness just a little!

15 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

...and I was worried you wouldn't have a tree. I was trying to figure out how I could send you one....LOL You beat me to the decorations this year.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

It sure beats the blow up tree that Jason, Brian, and Chad had in Athens!

Becky said...

It looks great...reminds me of Mandy and mine's first tree (did I say that correctly???)...anyways, it's not like anyone over here knows how tall 210 cm is...

Anonymous said...

I love your tree. It did start out like Charlie Brown's but look at the finished product! I see the "Love of All Things Christmas" shining through. I love seing your face so happy in the pictures. TQM

Anonymous said...

girl- way to go with the paperclips! very resourceful of you! i think your tree looks great. and i love your apartment!

Allie Marie Photography said...

You decorated before us as well! Do you have the Smitty Christmas CD on your ipod?? And Mariah Carey??

SP said...

Allie, I sure don't!

Mandy said...

I love it!!! And paperclips work great. Becky and I used them in college. Not out of necessity...out of frugality (or just plain cheapness.)

Becky said...

I believe it was cheapness.

Bella Sera said...

Gosh we're spoiled over here. Thanks for reminding me that life really is THAT SIMPLE and we make it complex. I have no idea how tall 210cm is, but don't be surprised b/c my "boys" make fun of me when it comes to ANY kind of math. Sooooo when I come in April will I have a hard time finding an African Ornament for my tree? You know I need an ornament to remember my travels.....

Anonymous said...

I love it! I am sooooo glad you were able to deck your halls. You mentioned the pre-lit trees. Let me tell you about pre-lit trees. . .
We decided to put our first ever artificial tree up this year. Three trees (yes, count them) and three days later we were finished. Up went the first pre-lit tree, all pretty and decorated and halfway lit. Down went the pre-lit tree due to the fact that not one section of the tree had complete strands of working lights (brand new out of the box, ridiculous). In went the next tree, non-prelit tree. Out went the non-pre-lit, not too tall, but oh too wide tree. In went the final tree to the tune of Mitch sounding like Clark Griswald in "Christmas Vacation." Talk to Mandy. She can vouch. Fa La La La La . . .

Anonymous said...

210 cm is approx. 210 widths of your little pinky finger... if you want to count that many... so let's go with 21 widths of your four fingers (not counting your thumb)... maybe you would rather have 2 1/2 yard sticks... sorry the math teacher just kind of LEAPED out of me... seize the teachable moment when you can LOL

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I am soooo proud of you! The tree is so cute! Did you happen to keep the Pollitz tradition and let out a few choice cuss words as you were putting the lights on! Pre-lit doesn't help! Last year half of our stupid pre-lit tree went out! I thought half a lit tree was pretty cool but NOOOOOOOO... everyone else demanded that I fix the lights that were out! Anyway, I love the tree and it makes me miss you even more at this time of year. I love you - Dad

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way (who could resist after Mom talked about fingers!!!) 210 cm is equal to 82.7 inches or 6ft 10.7 in.

Anonymous said...

I love the tree! I'm not going to lie, Mark and I have a few paper clips on our tree. Sometimes the hooks don't get the job done. Keep taking pictures.. I love them!