Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Traditions

Today I will be celebrating Thanksgiving away from my family. To tell you the truth, I think it might be the very first Thanksgiving I've spent away from them. It is important to me to keep some of my family's traditions for this holiday.

My mom never fails to make her delicious hashbrown casserole. I decided to make that for the Thanksgiving meal that I will be sharing today with four families who are in my home group. The problem? Ingredients, of course. You can't exactly get the same ingredients in North Africa that you can in the States. However, I found some items that just might work. I was shocked to find frozen cubed potatoes at our verson of Sam's. But not so shocked that I didn't quickly grab them and put them in my buggy. I also found a sharp cheese that somewhat resembles cheddar, except not in color. Then there is the Perly -- our version of sour cream. And don't forget the cream of chicken soup that doesn't come in a can. Ha! You should have seen me trying to thicken that stuff! The real verdict will come when I taste it.

Another semi-tradition is the "Thankful" poster. We put up a poster and throughout the day each member of the family writes on it things he or she is thankful for. This year it is the thankful whiteboard.

"Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!" (Ps 118:1)
"Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift." (2 Cor. 9:15)
"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thess. 5:16-18)

3 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear how the casserole comes out, girl!!
Thank you God for all His many blessings!

Anonymous said...

I know your family missed you.. although I hope your friends loved the hashbrown casserole! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I know that it may have been difficult, but I hope it was fun nonetheless. I love the poster idea. May I steal . . . ahem . . borrow it for the Jolly fam?
Love you. Thankful for you