Monday, November 06, 2006

Spain Day I


So here are the pictures you've been waiting for! Spain! I've been thinking I'll "tell the story" of my trip day-by-day. So...this is the first day. We rode the midnight train to the city where we were to catch the ferry. It was a long six hours trying to sleep sitting up. The good news? First class on the train was only a $17 ticket. This first picture is looking back at the coast of North Africa as we take the ferry to Spain.


We arrived in the early morning and went to the port by taxi. We took a thirty-minute ferry that put us in a quaint Andalusian Spanish town called Tarifa. Fortunately, the ferry ride across was smooth and un-bumpy.

Below is a picture of one of the main streets of Tarifa. Oh the difference at Strait makes. It is a sleepy town during the fall, but it is easy to see from all the surf shops that it is quite the happening place in the summer! We didn't mind "sleepy". We needed a break! In fact, after finding a hotel, changing, and eating a yummy Tex/Mex lunch (can't get that everyday across the Strait), we took a nap!
That night Bethany, Lisa and I found a wonderful Italian restaurant where I ate some kickin' strigoli al pesto. It was one of my best meals the whole trip. (Shock, I know.)
On the walk back to the hotel we kept smelling this amazing fragrance. We followed the scent to these flowers. I have no idea what they are called, but I call them trumpet flowers.
And where do you find trumpet flowers? No where other than a trumpet tree! ;)
To be continued...

10 worthy responses:

Mandy said...

1. These pictures are awesome and I am so jealous that you went to Spain.

2. I was just doing a little online research and, um, YOU HAVE A MYSPACE ACCOUNT??????? Wha?

SP said...

MAN! I was hoping to keep it a secret!

Anonymous said...

wow! yes, i second mandy- i am jealous as well...gorgeous pictures! what an amazing experience you are having!

Becky said...

Man! I would have stayed there (no offense to N. Africa)!!!

Oh, and good guess...they are called trumpet trees! Lots of people in my neighborhood have them in their yards, but over here they were blooming a month ago. Too chilly now.

Again...Spain looks awesome! Might have to add it to the to-go list...

Sarah Dean said...

Umm...I, too, am jealous. We need the rest of the story...

Allie Marie Photography said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Allie Marie Photography said...

That looks like the coolest place ever! :)

SP said...

Hahahaha...Allie, you crack me up.

Bella Sera said...

I know I'm a little late with my comment, but..I thought Many was there the night we were talking about myspace accounts...the night BEFORE the moth in the ear. I could be totally wrong, but I thought you were the one talking about it and Mandy was there. Great pics by the way and I like how you're telling the story. miss that!

Anonymous said...

Man, I have some catching up to do! Because of Banquet and other things, I haven't been reading blogs as I often as I like.
I am loving the play by play of spain. I am loving that you had that break. I hope it was refreshing to your soul!
By the way, I knew about the MySpace! :)