Friday, May 04, 2007

Shock and Awe

Many of you do not know that I have been covering three classes at a local high school for the past week. Vickie, one of my mom's good friends and a high school counselor, asked if I would be willing to take these three classes because a teacher went on maternity leave. Honestly, it was getting old sitting around the house and looking at the four walls, and it wasn't good for my mental stability. (Not to mention the fact that I have no source of income right now and a little cash couldn't be passed up.) So, since Monday, I have been a high school teacher of ninth and tenth grade literature. Let me just say, high school is nothing like middle school. Nothing. Pardon my French, but tenth grade boys can be punka**es.

On the first day, they asked me questions like, "If you're gonna be our teacher, shouldn't we know your name?" and "You're the teacher; aren't you supposed to get control of us?" I wanted to drop kick the kid who just waltzed right out of the class without asking.

Then on my third day, I noticed that two of the ring-tail tooters (which, by the way, I learned this year isn't a phrase commonly used in Canada), were NOT in class. God bless online attendance. Sure enough, they weren't marked absent. Skippers. Something felt really good about reporting that. Three days without them while they're in ISS is going to be pretty nice.

After almost walking out, I decided it was time for a little shock and awe. Let's just say that there is now NO question who is in charge and whose rules will be followed. Never the less, this is what I look like after my first week teaching high school.

3 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

Teaching high school English, speaking French, explaining the nuances of Canadian – sounds like you’re doing quite a job!

Anonymous said...

girl, i would way rather teach prek then some highschoolers. i feel your pain. gotta be tough. but i am so glad you laid down the law, girl! you show them! good luck! but i have a feeling they are gonna end up loving you like all your students always have. if anyone can teach'em, it's you! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world honey! I hope you survive and learn to love 'em!
~Jeanine