Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Class of 2007

Second year of students came and went! This is my second class to graduate high school. I taught these darlings when they were in eighth grade. Below are a few pictures of students I got to know well when they were in my class. What's so funny is that I can remember what class period they were in and where they sat! I always was more of a visual learner.

This is Josh. 6th period, right side. Thank goodness we got along, because I heard he could be a stinker. He was bound and determined that a foggy mirror would be included in the mystery/scary story we wrote as a class. "But scary stories always have a foggy mirror!"


This is Charles. 3rd and 4th periods, front left. Although an intelligent guy, Charles was the first student I caught who plagiarized his entire rough draft of his research paper. (I mean, he wrote well, but not that well.) I decided to put on a big scene. I printed out the website that he copied from and highlighted everything, then stapled it to the top of his rough draft. The next day I asked him to hang back from homeroom and threw it on his desk, telling him, "I've never been more disgusted in my life. In fact, I better not say anything to you right now or I'll regret it." The next period he returned with tears in his eyes to apologize. He got a zero on that test grade, but was able to do it the correct way for his final draft.


This is Jonathan. 3rd and 4th periods, front and middle right. Jonathan was my vocabulary wizard. In fact, because of Jonathan, I implemented an extra credit vocabulary system for future students. I began to notice that because I did vocabulary in a cumulative way, students were storing more and more of their vocabulary words in their long-term memory. Then they were recognizing their words in books and TVs shows and movies. Jonathan was notorious for shouting "Vocabulary word!" anytime, or place, that he heard one. His mother told me he drove her CRAZY with it. I decided that when students found a word in a book or article, they could write it down in a bank along with the definition and get up to five points added on their quizzes each week.

This is Jack. 6th period, front right. Jack was, and is, a phenomenal basketball player. I enjoyed sitting and socializing with his mom while we cheered for our team. He is going on to play basketball in college where I'm sure he'll do great as well.


This is AJ. 3rd and 4th periods, center. AJ was voted Most Dependable by his peers in eighth grade, but I believe he was the most dependable to be the last to class. AJ really took off with reading the year I taught him and loved Walter Dean Myers. He was a smart guy who could blow you away with trivia that he knew that most guys his age didn't.


This is Mikey. 6th period, middle left. Mikey's lasting impression on me is from when he blurted out in class that he was afraid of Free Willy. Mikey had a great personality!


Ashley was my sweetheart of 3rd and 4th periods. I didn't get to know many of the girls I taught my second year, they were more reserved. That happens from time to time. (My third year would be the year that I had a great group of girls that included Ashley's youngest sister!) But Ashley really opened up to me in her reading journal, and I got to know her whole family. In fact, a few years ago my sister and I took pictures at our first wedding, Ashley's older sister Amanda!


This is Kendall. 6th period, front and center. Kendall was a part of the three K's who graced my sixth period class: Kinsey, Kendall and Kristi. They were hilarious and really good friends. I've enjoyed watching Kendall excel at school and sports and life. She is also going to play basketball in college.
My second year was definitely my toughest year teaching, but I'm glad that I taught them. These students, as well as a few others I didn't get pictures of, will forever be etched in my heart.

8 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

Shan- You have a GREAT memory! dang, girl! i thought i could remember things well, but you got me beat! anyways, you laid down the law with that little plagerizer! good for you. but i would be lying if i said i had never plagirized anything. never got caught though. anyways, you look fabulous in all the pictures. and i do rememeber that a certain mountaineer will be turning the big 3-0 tomorrah, no?

SP said...

oh yes, katie...the big 3-0! wahoo!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those last few pictures gave me a little glimpse of hope. I was beginning to think that all the young men in Adairs Ville (that's how they say it on the national weather service announcements) all had really long hair and/or bushy beards.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, Shannon--this has been said many times but you are an amazing teacher. The love you show for all these young people is wonderful. "Adairs Ville" is so lucky you are coming !!! TQM

Stephanie said...

My little first graders are now in 7th Grade! I will really feel old when they are graduating. Funny, because I switched grades three years in a row, all of my students from my first three years will be graduating at the same time! Those students are so lucky to have had you as their teacher, and I am sure many of them are loving reading and writing in a way they never would have without you. And how lucky they were to have a teacher who cared so much for them!

Bella Sera said...

The 3 K's, the foggy mirror, the plagiarized paper, "vocabulary words"...I remember all that (close your mouth from the shock). I'm just having a hard time remembering what they all looked like in 8th grade. AJ and Jack I remembered w/o having to read about :) Glad you got to cheer them on at graduation...and you're keeping the $$!

Anonymous said...

ok, ignore my post. Somewhere in there I missed that these were "former"students. I should have realized you didn't have that much love for the kids you just subbed for.

SP said...

Lucinda, that's the truth. About not much love that is... Ha!