Saturday, August 26, 2006

Goals

Just wanted to show you a typical street in the city where I now live. You can't really tell, but this is a two-lane street. Lines don't mean much around here. Though the driving can seem crazy at times, I've heard that it's more organized than many other places in Africa. And the longer one lives here, I've also heard that they even begin to understand the system. Slowly, I'm seeing what they mean. Never the less, I still consider the two girls who took my roommate and I shopping today to be brave souls! It's amazing that there are several courageous single women here who embrace life and make the most out of it; this is a difficult culture in which to do that.

Four goals for my stay here:
1. To learn to drive a stick.
2. To drive in the city. (They have a car available at the school for teachers to check out.)
3. To learn as much as I can of the local language.
4. To develop relationships with the families of the students I teach.

6 worthy responses:

Bella Sera said...

Goal #4 will be natural for you, so consider it checked off. The pic reminds me of the streets in Italy. Remember, our taxi had an accident on the way to pick us up to go to the airport. I wonder why! Anyway, my roommate in college would let me drive her car (it was a stick) when she needed a good laugh. Needless to say, I drive an automatic on purpose.

Anonymous said...

The Shannon I know accomplishes everything she sets her mind to do. I know you'll do great there. Miss you and love you!

Becky said...

My advice to you: Don't attempt to learn the stick on a dump truck, as I did. It's not productive.

Mandy said...

I ALMOST learned to drive a stick in high school...taught by my brother. He took me to the mountain behind our house and made me stop halfway up every time. FRUSTRATION!!!

Those roads look fun!!!

Anonymous said...

You'll be driving like a local in no time. And you'll LIKE it!

Anonymous said...

I should have taught you on "Old Blue!"