Hey everyone! I made it!
Thanks for all of you for *thinking* about me during the past two days. It was a LONG two days, that’s for sure!
Mom and Dad and I spent the night with Allie and Chris in ATL so we could be closer to the airport. It was great to get to spend a little more time with them. We arrived at the airport in time to check in my baggage and eat together. I had four suitcases (one of which was overweight – well, I had three that were but they only charged me for one), my laptop case and my bookbag. Whew!
There were hundreds of military men and women preparing to leave. As they lined up to walk to their gate, everyone stood and cheered and clapped for them. It made me cry! It was very touching. It made me realize how great my home country is!
After eating lunch, Mom, Dad and Allie said goodbye to me. The airport really wasn’t that crowded. I was through security in five minutes. Once I got to the other side, I had a “mini melt-down” as it FINALLY sank in how long I’ll be gone.
The flight to Paris was pretty good. I didn’t sleep much at all. I had an empty seat beside me, so that allowed me to stretch out some. I did watch the movie RV with Robin Williams. It got my mind off flying and made me laugh. The really funny thing is that a French family that befriended me was flying home from a one month RV trip across the States. They were cracking me up.
The Paris airport. That’s a story in itself. Talk about frustrating! I did find my way around easily, but because of everything going on in the world, they had extremely long lines. I waited over an hour and a half just to transfer. Good thing I had over three hours in between flights!
I met an American girl about my age at the terminal. She is in the Peace Corps and has lived in this country for eleven months. It was nice to talk to her. We boarded the plane, headed out to the runway, and then stopped. And waited. And waited. And waited some more. Then they came on in French and started talking. Then in English. We were having “technical difficulties.” Don’t you just love how they disguise engine trouble that way? Because that’s what we had. I started *thinking* real hard about us being able to switch planes. I didn’t want them coming to “fix” it and then us taking off.
We did switch planes and didn’t leave until four hours after we were supposed to. I was definitely ready to be there by this time. Two and a half hours later we had landed. I had an easy-breezy customs and check-in. My two organization people were there to greet me. All my luggage arrived! Thank you for your thoughts!!!!! Isn’t He amazing?
I’m trying to hurry and type this so that my battery doesn’t run out. I’m skeptical about hooking my laptop up to the power over here…even with an adaptor. I just don’t want to risk it until I find out more details.
The night was finished off wonderfully. I unloaded my things, got a shower, and headed down to the grass for a bonfire! Yep, that’s right! It was breezy and cool here and some people were even wearing sweatshirts! We roasted hotdogs (beef only) and marshmallows. We had paprika potato chips, pasta salad, and Fanta orange drink. It was great getting to meet some people who I had talking with before on email and blogs. Some even said, “You’re Shannon!”
I LOVE my apartment. Can’t wait to send you pictures. Sorry it’s mostly my rambling right now. But I think I’ve officially been up over thirty-six hours.
Love you all!
Sunday, August 13, 2006
I'm here!
Posted by SP at 6:36 PM


21 worthy responses:
I'm so glad you got there safe! I miss you so much already and can't wait to talk to you on Skype! :) I'm "thinking" about you! Love you!
PS...the moth on the cross stayed on my door all day! When I saw that you had gotten to Paris safely I walked outside and he was gone! OOOOOooooo!!! Wonder where he was on your other flight?
the moth *with* the cross...sorry!
You weren't the only one in melt-down...my heart ached for hours! I knew you were only holding up for us... I love you Shan and miss you dearly. Your dad and I spent some extra time with Bert before we went home. I can honrestly say that I did NOT care for the extra hours we had to wait to hear from you. We were thinking of you constantly! Be true to your heart's desire of teaching the children ALL you can! Did you hear about the moth on the door?
Love you Bunches!
Mom
ALL of us were in melt-down!! You know me - I wanted to fix everything but couldn't be there to fix it! (I haven't worked on any airplane engines lately anyway!) I have petted, and petted Bubby and he seems to know something is up but he is doing fine. I miss you very much and I love you - Dad (The moth was really cool!
Sorry! - Anon was me!!!! - Love, Dad
So great to talk to you today! "Thinking" about you! Glad you got there safely and survived the crazy plane trip :)
oh, how exciting! glad you are there safe and sound! i can't wait to hear more!
It's good to hear something from you! I checked earlier today, but no blog. I realized today that I won't hear your ring tone for a very long time :( What is it with me and ring tones? Glad you and your luggage arrived all safe and sound. Funny how you were "provided" with a friend in France to help you along in your travels :) I am excited about this new journey you're starting. It will fly by, much like college did. Be open to learn what you're being taught. And teach what you've been given to share. (Pretty good huh? lol) I miss you tons, just like the rest of the Blogging family :) Love ya girl!
Dad will you pet Jay for me too :)
I'm so very happy for you! He's good! So good! I miss you, and each day think of you in the classroom! You have taught me so much, and now I can pass along what you taught me to others! Thanks for all you do! Can't wait to hear again from you! I'll keep you updated with MMS.
Woman of the World! I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED YOUR CALL! But, I'm am sooooooo glad you arrived safely. I watched that little plane on my computer and stayed with you all the way across! Had hoped to see that you were at your final destination this a.m. but knew you would be fine. I love you and am so proud of your courage. I'll leave my skype on for next time! Love you!
well shan-hun. i'm glad that you have made it safe over there. i'm sitting next to mom in my towel( DUH I"M ALWAYS IN MY TOWEL!!) typing on Bryan's computer... I'm home at mom's until tomorrow and Bill is coming back to pick me up so i can go back to saving peoples lifes on Tuesday..... I really wish you all the best over there and follow your heart and mind. Dont make me have to come over there to straighten people out lol.... I will update you on my wedding that is coming up in less then 20 days... well one thing is that I'm dancing with Bryan to a special song in memory of Daddy..... If you ever need anyting he is always up there listening along w. the head man..... keep your head up and walk tall... Mom said not to write a book so i'm closing this out
love you always my cousin,
Kelly
Thank you so much for all the comments! It sure does help to hear from you! And by the way...
Chris, you should SO start a blog.
Ironic that, as much as you hate them, you'd be great at it! ;)
Char Char,
I didn't want to remove your comment, but I couldn't figure out how to only delete the city name. Sorry! Love you BETTER BETTER BETTER!
Chris I agree with Shannon, you need a blog!! If for nothing else, to increase the amount of laughter in our lives. That's a good comment!
I am so glad you are safe and sound! It sounds great and I love the view!! The apartment seems really nice and cozy. Take care and keep us posted I know you will have a wonderful experience.
love you!
Carol, Dave , Sam and Jack
We're glad you've arrived! Your apartment looks great and I'm jealous of your view!!!
And if he or Allie checks back in.... CHRIS MUST START A BLOG. Not only would it be "sweet", but it would totally "rock"
We love you,
Joel, Lucinda, & Will
Shannon, Sorry about the Boo Boo on the message. I hope you got it off quickly. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe I'll remember what to do now. Love you....Better, Better, Better
I am so glad you got there safe, sound, and sane! I am thankful you had a flying buddy from Paris and all your traveling adventures are over.
I must say, I LOVE YOUR PLACE! It looks super cool. Very exotic. The "107" is cool but not that cool. And the view. . . you are living in someone else's vacation world.
Can't wait to hear of your adventures!
Jenn Jolly
Gotta get rid of a comment here...
Post a Comment