Saturday, August 19, 2006

More observations



I live just outside of a huge city and can feel somewhat secluded from the bulk of culture here. So every time I have the chance to go into the city, I take it. It also provides me ample opportunities to see more of the customs and society here.

1. Today I went to a telephone boutique and purchased a cell phone and a prepaid card. WOW! Cingular needs to take some lessons. This was SO easy and SO cheap and, if I decide to switch services later, won't have to get out of a contract and pay $175 stinkin' dollars! (I'm not bitter.) There was no paperwork. No contract. No signing of anything. I pointed to the phone. He boxed it up. He put in a sim card. He dialed a number. And voila! Instant phone service. Nice.

2. Not too long ago, in the city, they began putting in traffic circles. The only problem is, these people don't know what traffic circles are. Technically, whoever is in the circle has the right-of-way. However, they're not exactly aware of the "rules". So you constantly have to be on the lookout. Otherwise, you could be driving around the circle and people coming straight would barrel right into you.

3. Whoa! We have guard dogs! Didn't know this. But ran into them on the way to the track to walk. Yikes! They look like this. Ok, I'm exaggerating just a tad. Actually, it's more like this. Never the less, they are scary looking. One is in a tight kennel -- which is a good thing, because one look at us and he about jumped through the small opening for his head. My roommate almost jumped out of her skin. I've heard they bite. Even the residents here! So, once it is dark I'm not allowed to go walk near the grounds. Too bad I didn't get my rabies shot! Ha! (Just kidding, Mom!)

6 worthy responses:

Becky said...

I am loving reading your blog each day, Shan!

Anonymous said...

very cool picture...i love reading your blog each day too,shan!

Mandy said...

Guard dogs, huh. Interesting. Well, not to different from here, right? I mean, Emma is pretty scary looking and quite the guard dog (HA HA HA She would just sit and look at someone in hopes of a treat.)

I really wish I could find a cell deal like that here!!! Catch up, America!

Jeanine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeanine said...

I think that I suffer from Cell phone envy now! (sorry, it is true I have been coveting your cell phone) But soon I will be able to remedy that!

Jed Carosaari said...

But beware switching landlines. they expect 100 dirham. Per month of the rest of your 2 year contract! When I left I just told them I wasn't going to pay the 700 Dirham. "What are you going to do about it?" They told me nothing- have a good flight.

But that doesn't work if you switch locations within the country.