Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"Junior Miss" Betty Crocker

Ok, I really don't claim that title. But I DO love to cook. So tonight we went to the local grocery store. (Which is underground, by the way! How cool is that? You enter on ground level, get a cart, and ride little moving sidewalks -- think Ikea -- down to the food.) I got some great produce. Of course, I had to soak it in bleach before I could eat it. Then, I set to work making pico de gallo. (Fear not, the peaches are NOT in it!) I was making this to have for tomorrow night. Then I had a brilliant idea! Since I was making spaghetti tonight, and I had two leftover tomatoes, I'd attempt a bruschetta topping! Here are my attempts. The bruschetta is on the left and the pico on the right. After placing the pico in the fridge to set for a while, I cut up some bread, grated some mozarella, and spooned some bruschetta sauce on the top. Then I had to manually light the broiler, put in the bread, and wait (hoping not to burn it!). This is how it came out:
Is anyone else noticing that a lot of my posts are about food! Uh oh!

8 worthy responses:

Anonymous said...

so, you have to bleach them? you can't just wash them? that's interesting..better safe than sorry, right? gosh, that looks like some yummy food!!! your blog rocks!

Becky said...

Bruschetta looks delish...it's one of my favorite foods!

Bella Sera said...

Gosh if I was there we both know I would starve b/c first of all, no CFA and secondly, I can't really cook. Well I can follow directions, but I can't just pull stuff out of my head like that! GREAT JOB girl.

Anonymous said...

Did you know to soak them in bleach or did someone tell you? I wouldn't have know. Looks good Shannon.. I'm proud!

Sarah Dean said...

Please send me that recipe. What is bruschetta sauce? I am so impressed!!

Sarah Dean said...

one more thing... if you ingest bleach (meaning the bleach that is on the veggies), why does it not cause any problems to your digestive system? I always thought bleach was hazardous. who knew?

SP said...

Lins, The expats here taught us that. They use fresh manure when growing produce, so we have to bleach the veggies to clean them.

Sarah, I usually rinse off fruit before eating it, and sometimes peel it, so I don't really ingest it.

Mandy said...

YUM. That pico looks SOOOOOO good! That is some of my favorite stuff right there!